Thank you for visiting The Mine. Enjoy what’s new with 15% off your first purchase. GO
Enter your email to get your unique code:
Check your inbox (and your spam folder) for your code!
*Excludes select manufacturers. You are consenting to receive marketing emails. You can unsubscribe any time by using the unsubscribe link in our marketing emails, contacting us at The Mine, 11410 NE 122nd Way, Ste. 200, Kirkland WA 98034 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAVE 20% SITEWIDE DURING OUR MEMORIAL DAY SALE W/ CODE MEMORIAL20 Details
The size of rug depends on where it will be used in the house. Here is a basic rundown of how to measure a room to find the appropriate rug size. One key point to remember with rug sizes is that they are never exact and might be an inch or two smaller or bigger than what is described.
• Dining Room: Measure the perimeter of your dining room table and add 54” to the dimension. Ideally your rug is at least 2 feet away from walls and your rug is big enough for dining room chairs to fit on.
• Living Room: The rug in your living room will sit neatly in the center of your main furniture such as couch, chairs and coffee table.
The rug shouldn’t show out the back of your couch or chairs but will central in the living area. Measure the perimeter of your main furniture (not the entertainment center, which won’t sit under the rug) and subtract 24 inches from the length. If you don’t have a coffee table, take 24 inches of your width as well and you will have the ideal dimensions for a living room rug.
• Bedroom Rugs: The best place for a rug in the bedroom is right under the bed. This way when you hop out of bed in the morning your feet don’t immediately hit cold floor. Measure the perimeter of the bed and add 24 inches to each side that isn’t up against a wall.
• Runners: Runners are long and narrow rugs that are ideal for front entry ways and hallways. For an entry wayrunner, measure the width of your door and the length of the entry way. Subtract 12 inches from the length of your entry way and you will have dimension for you runner. For a hallway, measure the length and width of the hallway. Subtract 12 inches from the width and 24 inches from the length for the dimension of the rug.
• Kid’s Room Rugs: There are a couple different approaches to rugs in kid’s rooms. The first is putting a rug under the bed. Another option is to put a rug in a corner which will set it off as the “play zone”. Measure the area that you want to be the “play area,” subtract 6 inches from the width and length so the rug isn’t pushed right up against the wall and you have the perfect play area.
Can I use a rug on carpet?
Absolutely, although not as typically as putting a rug on hardwood, there is nothing wrong with using a rug on carpet. Rugs can protect carpet, add layers of color and create a focal point for the room.
Do I need a rug pad?
Rug pads will help to keep rugs from sliding, muffle sound, create a softer area and protect the floor under the area rug.
Which rug material is the best?
Rugs are made from a variety of materials from wool to synthetic materials and more. There are advantages and disadvantages to each but it is usually easy to find which rug material is best for your purposes. For example, a synthetic rug might be best in high traffic areas or kids rooms because they are often easier to clean and not as expensive if they need to be replaced. If you want a rug that will add warmth and a more artistic look, a natural wool rug might be the best option.